Multi-user systems and Valentina

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu Jun 3 13:08:32 CDT 2004

On Jun 2, 2004, at 11:30 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 6/3/04 4:31 AM, "Trevor DeVore" <lists at mangomultimedia.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Trevor,
>
>> I have a question about the best way to deal with a Revolution
>> application, Valentina and a user without admin privileges on Windows
>> XP.
>>
>> I've run some tests and it seems if my application is installed in the
>> C:\Program Files\MyApp folder and a user without admin privileges
>> tries
>> to launch it then an Error 5 (access denied) is returned after calling
>> "Database_Open".  The database is encrypted and I get a valid
>> reference
>> when calling "Database_New".  Is there a way to get around this or
>> would the database need to be in a directory that the user has write
>> access to in order to open the Valentina database?
>>
>> I'm using the latest version of the Valentina XCMD.
>
> Strange.
>
> Db files can be on CD, and we still can open them,
> So even if you have now them in read-only area then it still must be
> able
> open db in read-only mode.
>
> Does it works fine if db files in read-write area?

Yes.  If I copy the application (Revolution app, database, etc.) into a
directory that the user has read/write access to it works fine.

> I think if you gog to write into db, then in any case you should move
> files
> to read-write are for that user.

Writing to the database isn't necessary for this application.  Is there
a way to specify whether the db is opened read only versus read/write
or is this something that is handled automatically by Valentina?

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com