record locks

Ian Devaney idevaney at mac.com
Wed Jun 2 10:33:18 CDT 2004

Thanks Ruslan.

Maybe you could point me in the right direction if I give an example.

Let's say I have a contacts database.

My user performs a search or selects a category, for example. I display
the requested contacts by getting a cursor that represents all the
records required.

My interface allows the users to view the different contacts in the
resulting list. I do this by changing the position of the cursor.

What should be the lock settings for such a cursor?

If my interface allows the user to directly edit the values in the
currently displayed contact, how do I update and save these changes?

Do I have to get a new cursor that pertains only to the currently
selected record and update this - or can I update the values in the
initial cursor?

Obviously, this is all presuming a multi-user setup.

Cheers,

Ian