server release

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Jul 19 15:38:59 CDT 2004

On 7/19/04 3:20 PM, "Bram Van Steenlandt" <van.steenlandt.nv at pandora.be>
wrote:

> However the following is also something I do not understand
>
> suppose you have a db with some fields
> you add or change a field in db with vapp
> and you change the class in realbasic in the very same way
> -It can happen that the app won't start or starts and then crashes

Aha,

This is easy !

1) you will see SUCH problem as you describe
    IF you have delete before some field in that table.

Valentina 1.x will reuse RecID of delete records in sys tables,
So your new field go NOT to the end of field list as you expect,
But into the same place of deleted field.

This is STUPID from Valentina 1.x.
We will fix this in 2.0

I think in VAPP you should see that new field was not appended but inserted
into middle.

2) now important. Why you us VAPP?

A) if you have not yet released version of your app,
    then you can and should have in YOUR code function
    which will create new fresh db. Right?

So if you want change something during development, just change this
function, trash existed test dbs and create new one. In this way you ALWAYS
will have db files that correspond to YOUR CODE.

B) if you have distribute app, and your clients already have db files,
Then again: what sense to use VAPP to modify db structure ?

Your clients need to get from you app which in CODE will open old db,
add/delete new fields and increment db.SchemaVersion.

You see?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com