Valentina 2.0. -- What is your 3 DREAM features?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jan 31 23:46:39 CST 2004

on 1/31/04 11:28 PM, Frank Schima at frank-list2 at mindstarprods.com wrote:

>> ------------------
>> + we have made RAM based tables
>> + it is possible to make the whole database Vdatabase on the RAM.
>
> I was not even worried about having RAM based tables - but we do need
> the ability to pre-load selected tables into RAM on Server.

RAM tables are important as RESULT of SQL query, with small number of rows.
E.g. COUNT(*)

> I was just thinking of on the fly temp table creation for complex SQL
> selects so you can easily sub-select from it. Like this:
>
> SELECT a, b, c
> FROM table1, table2, table3
> WHERE condition1 AND condition2...
> INTO new_table

Frank, this can be done right now in 1.x using
    INSERT  ... (SELECT)

Something exist for such task.

Does in above query, DBMS should self create new TMP table according cursor
fields? Or that new_table must be prepared manually before query?

> Then later you can DROP TABLE new_table after you are done with it. But
> when the server quits, it should delete the temp tables automatically.

Of course.

> Also there must be a Server command to wipe out all temp tables. In
> Sybase, temp tables created in stored procedures and automatically
> deleted when the stored procedure ends. Sybase also has the concept of
> a temporary database - which is kind of a play area for your data.
>
> This brings up another dream feature - namely stored procedures.

Yes I know.

After 2.0, I think we will put all our efforts on
    transactions
    stored procedures in this or that way.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com