Valentina 2.0. -- What is your 3 DREAM features?

Frank Schima frank-list2 at mindstarprods.com
Sat Jan 31 16:28:34 CST 2004

Hi Ruslan,

On Jan 31, 2004, at 3:22 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> on 1/31/04 4:36 AM, Frank Schima at frank-list2 at mindstarprods.com
> wrote:
>> -Temporary tables
>
> Done on kernel level
>
> What you exactly mean under this feature?
> Ability CREATE TABLE TMP ...
>

> ------------------
> + we have made RAM based tables
> + it is possible to make the whole database Vdatabase on the RAM.

I was not even worried about having RAM based tables - but we do need
the ability to pre-load selected tables into RAM on Server.

I was just thinking of on the fly temp table creation for complex SQL
selects so you can easily sub-select from it. Like this:

SELECT a, b, c
FROM table1, table2, table3
WHERE condition1 AND condition2...
INTO new_table

Then later you can DROP TABLE new_table after you are done with it. But
when the server quits, it should delete the temp tables automatically.
Also there must be a Server command to wipe out all temp tables. In
Sybase, temp tables created in stored procedures and automatically
deleted when the stored procedure ends. Sybase also has the concept of
a temporary database - which is kind of a play area for your data.

This brings up another dream feature - namely stored procedures.

Thanks for listening!
-Frank