Valentina 2.0. -- What is your 3 DREAM features?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jan 31 02:26:07 CST 2004

on 1/31/04 1:51 AM, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

Hi Robert,

> Nothing too fantastic for me but here are a few things in a somewhat
> random order:
>
> -- be able to query ANY parameters/options that are settable by us or
> by kernel, including things like file mode, file block size, mac file
> type/create, file extensions.

You mean by SQL?
No promise. WE have start add SQL command SET PROPERTY, GET PROPERTY,
But on the hold now.

> -- add call to check db file version without opening it

good

> -- be able to store single global/persistent values easily (using
> system tables instead of having to maintain my own bo)

Close to SET PROPERTY.

?

> -- automatic diagnose when opening database which was not properly
> closed (like in a crash)

100% this will done only with transaction and command log.
Not in 2.0 but in 2.5

> -- be able to run diagnose within my program and get diagnose reports
> directly into my program

Yes, we work on this

> -- sub-cursors -- searching an existing cursor

ok

> -- have proper support for character encoding and languages of
> text/string fields, allowing us to control both parameters
> independently (yes, I know this is promised)

Must have

> -- ability to get progress feedback on time consuming tasks

ok

> -- option to have automatic time stamping of all or specific fields
> in a baseobject (updated only when content changes)

Yes, we have add DB.Clocks(), and TIMESTAMP field.

> -- does valentina automatically zeros out space that becomes empty
> when existing data is encrypted? if not it should. And add an option
> for doing this upon any record deletion (a new call or an option for
> delete/all/Record/s)

Yes, is added new flag db.EraseOnDelete.
For non encrypted also

> -- easier way to control case-sensitivity of sorts/searches

Yes, was added flag  fCaseInsensetive

> -- built in options to compress large data upon storage and auto
> decompress upon recall (choice of compression)

Mmm, this exists now -- ZIP compression for BLOBs.

> -- simplify opening/creating encrypted database: New +
> Set(Structure)Encryption + Open --> CreateEncrypted and
> Set(Structure)Encryption + Open --> OpenEncrypted with Open returning
> an error dbEncrypted when trying to open an encrypted db. Also
> IsStructureEncrypted(fpath), IsDatabaseEncrypted(fpath) to check what
> kind of db we have (this was discussed on the list last year)

Let's discuss this in separate thread.
And I did agree in the past with changes?
Just not sure it is possible simplify something.

> -- allow to specify file types/extensions in open() (cf. my post from
> 2003/01/20)

Not remember. I will look

> -- implement auto timeout of cursors

What you mean?

Please note, such things as threading, timeouts, progress tasks
Can be done easy enough in Server app, which have many threads.
But plugins always are single thread.

> -- option to open databases in read-only mode (as parameter to open
> or separate call) regardless whether it is on read-only or read-write
> medium

Aha, as flag on open....
I afraid not works.

Assume files are not marked.
One app open as read only. Ok.
But other open as read/write => BIG PROBLEMS.

> -- valentinaInit returns the size of actually allocated cache

Right now.

> -- allow to specify a limit on a number of returned records from sql
> query (top n, bottom n) as well as an option to specify the range of
> returned records (from/to)

Yes we going to have this.
Parser recognize it.
Algorithms will be improved step by step

> -- provide similar set of examples for all environments as well as
> examples of functionality that are specific to a given environment

agree

> -- stop doing automatic file format conversions on open without our
> consent -- open() can return error "fileInOlderFormat" or
> "fileInNewerFormat" and if we want to convert then we use
> openConverting() or with an extra parameter for Open

I can agree

?

> -- properly maintain FAQs
> -- improve documentation