Valentina 2.0. -- What is your 3 DREAM features?

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Sat Jan 31 00:51:31 CST 2004

>And we are interested to get list of your DREAM features for database in a
>your favor IDE.
>
>Please send such feature list directly to me or to Valentina list.
>
>Please send ANY your dream, never mind how fantastic it sounds.
>Okay? :-)

Nothing too fantastic for me but here are a few things in a somewhat
random order:

-- be able to query ANY parameters/options that are settable by us or
by kernel, including things like file mode, file block size, mac file
type/create, file extensions.
-- add call to check db file version without opening it
-- be able to store single global/persistent values easily (using
system tables instead of having to maintain my own bo)
-- add SQLSelectField and SQLSelectGlobal
-- automatic diagnose when opening database which was not properly
closed (like in a crash)
-- be able to run diagnose within my program and get diagnose reports
directly into my program
-- sub-cursors -- searching an existing cursor
-- have proper support for character encoding and languages of
text/string fields, allowing us to control both parameters
independently (yes, I know this is promised)
-- ability to get progress feedback on time consuming tasks
-- option to have automatic time stamping of all or specific fields
in a baseobject (updated only when content changes)
-- does valentina automatically zeros out space that becomes empty
when existing data is encrypted? if not it should. And add an option
for doing this upon any record deletion (a new call or an option for
delete/all/Record/s)
-- easier way to control case-sensitivity of sorts/searches
-- built in options to compress large data upon storage and auto
decompress upon recall (choice of compression)
-- simplify opening/creating encrypted database: New +
Set(Structure)Encryption + Open --> CreateEncrypted and
Set(Structure)Encryption + Open --> OpenEncrypted with Open returning
an error dbEncrypted when trying to open an encrypted db. Also
IsStructureEncrypted(fpath), IsDatabaseEncrypted(fpath) to check what
kind of db we have (this was discussed on the list last year)
-- allow to specify file types/extensions in open() (cf. my post from
2003/01/20)
-- implement auto timeout of cursors
-- option to open databases in read-only mode (as parameter to open
or separate call) regardless whether it is on read-only or read-write
medium
-- valentinaInit returns the size of actually allocated cache
-- allow to specify a limit on a number of returned records from sql
query (top n, bottom n) as well as an option to specify the range of
returned records (from/to)
-- provide similar set of examples for all environments as well as
examples of functionality that are specific to a given environment
-- stop doing automatic file format conversions on open without our
consent -- open() can return error "fileInOlderFormat" or
"fileInNewerFormat" and if we want to convert then we use
openConverting() or with an extra parameter for Open
-- use opportunity to clean up function/param names in BO-APIs
-- properly maintain FAQs
-- improve documentation

Robert Brenstein