[V4MD] query speed

Martin Kloss martin.kloss at gmx.de
Fri Jan 30 19:41:45 CST 2004

At 10:14 30.01.2004, you wrote:
>Correct. You can self find cache what is the best for you.
>Usually 10-20MB is enough.

ok thanks, that's what I thought. I found out that
after 16MB I will not get any speed improvements.

>When you start app, system is COOL.
>Cache is empty.
>So first query in any case will be slower of next.

I get it, it's the initial creation of the cache that
happens on the first query of the db. Thanks for
the explanation.

> > I thought of doing a "dummy" search in the background,
> > while loading the app, so that the first user search is actually
> > the second search, which will be faster.
>
>But then start of your app will be slower.
>Why it is so big problem for you?

Not for me, but for my client who freaks out that the
search takes 6 seconds at the first time and 3 seconds
after that. So I will search the db during the opening
sequence, which is about 5 seconds anyway.

Is it enough to use any search to create the cache?
I could just do a dummy search that returns only 1 record
and is very fast, just so that the cache gets created.

Martin.

Martin Kloss

Like the author? Buy the book:
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3934358322/lingmmugd