[V4MD] query speed

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jan 30 11:14:14 CST 2004

on 1/30/04 11:04 AM, Martin Kloss at martin.kloss at gmx.de wrote:

> At 09:54 30.01.2004, you wrote:
>>> Hmm, sorry I can't remember seeing any caching features for V4MD.
>>> Can you say what exactly you mean?
>>
>>     ValentinaInit( cacheSize )
>>
>> When you say 10MB this means Valentina allocate in RAM 10MB of space to
>> cache disk data
>
> Ok, the app contains a whole lot of pictures and text fields,
> searched with RegEx. The size is 650 MB, so what is the ideal
> cache size? I made speed tests and it was a lot faster searching
> with a 16MB cache, than using a 4MB cache.

Correct. You can self find cache what is the best for you.
Usually 10-20MB is enough.

In Valentina 2.0 even 200MB cache will be ok.

>>> Kill the cache? How?
>>
>>     ValentinaShutDown() do this.
>
> Ok, but I can't do that until the app is closed.

You have not understand.

We must not kill cache!!!
After this you will gat FIRST SLOW query again.

> So how can I prevent the first search from being so slow?

No way.

When you start app, system is COOL.
Cache is empty.

So first query in any case will be slower of next.

> I thought of doing a "dummy" search in the background,
> while loading the app, so that the first user search is actually
> the second search, which will be faster.

But then start of your app will be slower.

Why it is so big problem for you?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com