V4RB and Windows

Cindy Brown cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com
Fri Jan 30 07:34:36 CST 2004

Hi Ruslan,

> on 1/29/04 12:07 PM, Cindy Brown at cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com wrote:
>
> Hi Cindy,
>
>> Just spent the whole day working on V4RB and Windows. I downloaded the
>> latest version of V4RB for Windows and recompiled my windows programs on my
>> windows machine. I am finding really severe problems with this. My Macintosh
>> version is working with no problems at all but on the Windows version I am
>> getting an awful lot of databases corrupting. In fact I can't run my
>> workstation program at all as soon as I start my server version (these are
>> my own programs, not your server version). My database files keep coming
>> back that they have corrupted as soon as I have sent across forty or fifty
>> new files. The workstation files keep coming back that they are corrupted.
>> All these with a -351 varchar error.
>>
>> I know you had a Mac varchar error which you fixed and seems to be going
>> fine but are you sure the PC version is working correctly?
>>
>> I really need some help on this as I have customers who are waiting for a
>> fix for this problem.
>>
>> Looking forward to hearing from you.
>
> Please clarify:
>
> 1) you build on RB MAC and run on WIN?
> Or you work in RB WIN IDE ?

I am currently working on RB WIN IDE though I have also built on the Mac and
run on Windows.

> 2) you use V4RB 1.10 ?

Yes, that's the one I am using.

> 3) you mean you have own server app built over V4RB,
> And you have client part of app that talk via network to server?

Yep, that's right. My client program keeps a track of a sync list and then
when it has opportunity to connect to the server, it starts sending the sync
list changes across to the server. This is working well on Mac and has
previously worked well on PC. If a client has made 100 changes over the last
day or so and then connected to the server, these changes go across one
after the other.

> 4) what means sent 40-50 files???

Each file is a record sent from the client to the server and updated, added
or deleted on the server where applicable. It appears that each time I run a
brand new lot of records through on a database with no errors (I've removed
the one with the varchar error and put on a new one on - I have databases
with data already on them) then after about 40 or 50 records, the program
tells me that my assessments database has a varchar error and the server
also gets a varchar error.

These errors are not occurring at all on the Macintosh side and I am using
the exact same program on windows.

> 5) V4RB contains _TEST project.
>   it have very cool VarChar test.

I'd love to check the project but I don't have time at this stage. I'll keep
searching today and see if I can find out any reason why this is not
working. There must be a reason!!! I really just wondered if there was a
known error.

By the way, the error ONLY occurs when I am sending information across to
the server. Working as a standalone client, the program is working with no
problems at all.

--

Cindy Brown
Programmer

Kowhai Programming Systems
PO Box 198, Invercargill
81 Marama Avenue South, 9RD Invercargill
Phone (03) 213 1243
Fax (03) 213 1248
Mobile (021) 354 930
<http://www.kowhaiprogramming.com/>