Select Max question

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Sun Jan 25 07:49:31 CST 2004

> Keith DeLong wrote at 25.01.2004 7:32 Uhr
>
>> SELECT Max(Date_Entered)
>> FROM Matters
>> Where Person_ID = 4
>>
>> I got the same result as above. After some experimentation it seems
>> Valentina is ignoring the WHERE clause all together when Max is used. This
>> seems also true for Distinct.  Is this the normal way for SQL to work or a
>> Valentina oddity?
>>
>> Is there is a query solution that I am missing at this late hour of a long
>> week?
> Hi Keith,
>
> i had the same problem.  the following should work:
>
> SELECT Person_ID, Max(Date_Entered)
> FROM Matters
> Group by Person_ID
>
> i think there must be a use of group by when using a aggregate function.
>
> Best,
> Kurt

Hi Kurt,
I actually has tried using Group By and it yielded the same single max
record. Could this be because Person_ID is an object pointer to Person
table? The only reference I have in the Matters table to Person is an object
pointer.  ... ???

Keith

Ahh wait... I think clearer after some sleep! This does work:

SELECT max(Date-Entered)
from Maters, Persons
group by Person_ID

It appears the object pointer requires the second table to be included.

Thanks Kurt and Ruslan,

Keith