A couple of questions on licensing

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jan 24 12:52:13 CST 2004

on 1/23/04 10:53 AM, Erich Geiersberger at erichg at mcmm.com wrote:

Hi Erich,

> please answer the following questions on embedded licenses:
>
> In the license readme you write that I need to send the serial number
> from the client on connect.
>
> - May I also place the license file in folder "licenses" instead,
> I.e. install the server with my license file in folder "licenses"? Or
> do I explicitely need to send the number?

You have got from me
A) license_emb_xxxxx file.
    you need put this file and only it into licenses folder
    of your distribution.

B) this license_emb file is signed by YOUR signature.
    you have also get from me this SIGNATURE.

You MUST send this signature from your client in the option parameter on any
connect to Vserver.

> - If so, do I need to send it both on VServer connects AND on
> VDatabase connects?

Yes, on any and each connect.

Your Vserver is SIGNED by licene_emb file.
It will accept ONLY signed connections now.

> - Since options is the last parameter, do I need to explicitely
> specify the port number, and a (client?) timeout too?

Yes.

And note, for you own distribution you MUST choose other port.
To not conflict with OTHER Vserver-based apps.

So on server you specify this new port in the ini file
And on connect you send it also.

> - If I send this number and someone buys additional connections, how
> will this work together?

But what problems?
Port and Timeout is not related to the number of connections.

> - what about the disable DNS option you metioned? Where can it be specified?

In the server ini file.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com