question understanding lock levels

Dave Parizek dave at Parizek.com
Fri Jan 23 22:50:25 CST 2004

If I create a cursor in V4RB 1.98 and do not specify a lock level, it
will be ReadOnly by default.

That means other processes can read but not write, correct?

the term, 'readonly', refers to how other processes are affected,
what others CAN DO.

  But 'readwrite' means other processes cannot read or write, thus
referring to what others CANNOT DO.  It seems the 2 terms should be
in the same space as far as CAN DO or CANNOT DO.  Like it should be
no_lock, writes_locked, reads_and_writes_locked.  Or it should be
read_write_ok, read_ok, neither_ok.  But mixing terms from the 2 sets
makes it confusing.

Oh well, just semantics.

Back to my real problem:

If I set that cursor to nil, the lock should be destroyed, correct?

I seem to be having problems where the lock still exists even after
setting mCursor = nil, has anyone else seen this?  I'm getting 363
errors when I try and do a SQLExecute, and I have no cursors in
existence at the point when the SQLExecute occurs, or so I think.

To end the lock, do you need to do something else besides setting the
cursor to nil?

--Dave