AW: Security question

Florian Bogeschdorfer fb at memedia.de
Thu Jan 22 15:21:54 CST 2004

> > Now I wonder what would happen if I overwrite the record with empty
> > values or "XXX" stuff before I delete it? What yould appear
> in the hex
> > editor? The empty or XXXed record?
>
> Yes, this is away!
>
> You can do
>
>     cursor->SetBlank()
>     cursor->UpdateRecord()
>
> And only now
>     cursor->DeleteRecord()
>
> This will put zeroes.
> Problem only with strings.
> You need Update by string with the same length.

Or the max length of the field right?

So I could use setBlank() and then add the string fields filled with spaces?

> But if you can wait, better wait.
> In 2.0 we have flag EraseOnDelete to secure this.
>
> Problem with Update, that it also will spend time on indexing.

In this case time is not a matter.

I wonder about 2.0. Ruslan, what changes will it bring? Will we need new
coding for our old projects? How can we update existing servers (embedded).
It is supposed to be released the next few weeks, but that is a beta version
right?

Florian