Security question

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Jan 22 16:14:13 CST 2004

on 1/22/04 4:05 PM, Florian Bogeschdorfer at fb at memedia.de wrote:

Hi Florian,

> You once told me that if I delete a record, it will still be there
> physically, just somehow flagged and not appear anymore. Now with a hex
> editor I could still recover the data.
>
> Now I wonder what would happen if I overwrite the record with empty values
> or "XXX" stuff before I delete it? What yould appear in the hex editor? The
> empty or XXXed record?

Yes, this is away!

You can do

    cursor->SetBlank()
    cursor->UpdateRecord()

And only now
    cursor->DeleteRecord()

This will put zeroes.
Problem only with strings.
You need Update by string with the same length.

But if you can wait, better wait.
In 2.0 we have flag EraseOnDelete to secure this.

Problem with Update, that it also will spend time on indexing.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com