[VServer] NT4 error 10093

Erich Geiersberger erichg at mcmm.com
Wed Jan 21 12:11:03 CST 2004

>  > I have VServer running on a XP machine and try to connect from clients.
>  > No problems from XP or 2000 machines, but from an NT4 workstation I
>  > had difficulties.
>  >
>  > I can create a Vserver instance, it will report the port number, but
>  > on opensession() I get an error 10093 (seems to be: a DNS lookup
>  > failed)
>This is the 10093 error description from MSDN:
>         Successful WSAStartup not yet performed.
>         Either the application has not called WSAStartup or
>         WSAStartup failed.
>
>So, the real question is: did you call ValentinaInit()
>before using VServer Xtra?

Oops, at this point I really forgot that to call it.
But that's does not fix the problem on NT4.

The following code works:
- 100% in authoring mode on NT4
- 100% on Win 2000
- only about 10% of all tries from an NT4 projector

on getDBregistration
   global guser, gpw, gIsAdmin, ghostname, gVErr
   DBOpenV(ghostname, "master", myAdmin, myPassword)

   if VErrorHandler(gVErr) then
     close_Vdb
     gVErr = 0
     alert "cancel at getdb.."
     return -1
   end if

   gcursor_master = void
   mySQLString = "Select * from user WHERE name ='" & guser & "'"
   gcursor_master = new ( xtra "VCursor", GetRef(gMyDataBase),
mySQLstring, kServer, kReadWrite, kRandom)
   myerror = ValentinaError()
   if myerror <> 0 then
     if VErrorHandler(myerror) then
       close_Vdb
       gcursor_master = void
       return -1
     end if
   end if

   cnt = getrecordcount(gcursor_master)

   alert "mastercursor" && string(gcursor_master)
   alert "cnt = " && string(cnt)

   registered = 1
   if cnt > 0 then
     mypw = getfield(gcursor_master, "password")
     alert "password = " && mypw
     if mypw = gpw then
       registered = 1
     else
       alert("Falsches Passwort")
       registered = -1
     end if
   else
     registered = 0
   end if
   gcursor_master = void
   close_Vdb
   alert "getDBregistration" && string(registered)
   return registered
end

On NT4, this code will produce the following alerts:
- mastercursor <Xtra Child "VCursor" 31e6c90>
- cnt =
- getDBregistration 0

and *sometimes* (in about 1 of 10 tries):
- mastercursor <Xtra Child "VCursor" 31e6c90>
- cnt = 1
- password = tom
- getDBregistration 1

On win 2000 it always works.
It also works 100% in authoring mode on NT4.
The problem only occurs in the NT4 projector.

Erich