[V4MD][SERVER] Cross platform text

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jan 14 08:44:39 CST 2004

on 1/14/04 2:31 AM, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

>>> Hmm, in local V4MD this works.
>>>
>>> I am not sure about current versions of V4MD_Client and Vserver...
>>> We must check this.
>>>
>>> Note, for 2.0 release, most probably all text will go in UTF16,
>>> So this will not be an issue.
>>
>> Fine. I don't need it at the moment. It's only that during testing I
>> recognized that all text saved from PC has wrong chars on mac.
>>
>> Erich Geiersberger
>>
>> Media Connect Multimedia
>> Gratzmuellerstr. 1
>> 86150 Augsburg, Germany
>
> Ha! We are back to the issue of needing both Language AND Character
> Encoding params for each text-containing field. Going to UTF16 will
> solve only the storage issue. You said earlier, Ruslan, that kernel
> will automatically convert from/to specified encoding on input and
> output. Or have you changed your mind and will require explicit
> conversions? With server things are getting more complicated since
> the same db may be serving Mac and Win clients at the same time. May
> be it is time to finally have someone on your team working on this
> issue :)

Igor work on this issue.

We already have include ICU library into 2.0 engine,
And change a lots of code to support internally UTF16.

ICU self can do conversions.

So all we will have to do, (in the worse case),
Just add this additional flags/encodings to
    maybe server protocol,
    fields

And I think right now we can fix mentioned problem in Vserver alpha,
So it will work not worse of LOCAL SDKs.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com