[V4MD][SERVER] Cross platform text

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Jan 14 01:31:37 CST 2004

>>  > I wonder if there is a pre-designed way to store/retrieve text within
>>  > a Server database for both Mac and PC?
>>
>>Hmm, in local V4MD this works.
>>
>>I am not sure about current versions of V4MD_Client and Vserver...
>>We must check this.
>>
>>Note, for 2.0 release, most probably all text will go in UTF16,
>>So this will not be an issue.
>
>Fine. I don't need it at the moment. It's only that during testing I
>recognized that all text saved from PC has wrong chars on mac.
>
>Erich Geiersberger
>
>Media Connect Multimedia
>Gratzmuellerstr. 1
>86150 Augsburg, Germany

Ha! We are back to the issue of needing both Language AND Character
Encoding params for each text-containing field. Going to UTF16 will
solve only the storage issue. You said earlier, Ruslan, that kernel
will automatically convert from/to specified encoding on input and
output. Or have you changed your mind and will require explicit
conversions? With server things are getting more complicated since
the same db may be serving Mac and Win clients at the same time. May
be it is time to finally have someone on your team working on this
issue :)

Robert Brenstein