DB design opinions

Tim Davis timdavis at amug.org
Tue Jan 13 10:55:11 CST 2004

Hi Gary,

> I have an interface design where fields can have multiple values,
> usually displayed in a listbox. Currently I use separate tables for
> the fields linked to the main table. An alternate method would be to
> store the values as a delimited list in a VString field in the main
> table.
>
> I don't have a problem with either method but would like opinions from
> others on how they handle similar situations. Is there a  disadvantage
> to having a high number of tables or does it matter?

I use a Preferences table to lookup certain app design values, which
could be used for the delimited string you mention above. It kind of
depends how dynamic you want that list to be. You might find that a
table for these value provides some flexibility if you wanted to edit
that list easily, or sort, etc.

Tim Davis