AW: [V4MD] V4MD Xtra vs. V4MD_client Xtra

Erich Geiersberger erichg at mcmm.com
Wed Jan 7 19:58:32 CST 2004

>  >> 3. I guess you can upgrade to the server version but not
>downgrade? So maybe
>  >> you could call another projector copying the server xtra to XTRAS and
>  >> installing the server, then restart your application.
>  >
>  > No need for a downgrade. Copying the right Xtras needed for the final
>  > version in question is not the problem.
>  > Only during installation I need to open both a single database (to
>  > read data) and a network database (to write to).
>
>Erich,
>
>I think this is point of confusion.
>
>You MUST NOT do nothing hard to transfer
>EXISTED user database under server!!!
>
>You need just DROP this db files into "Databases" folder of Server,
>And REGISTER this database to Vserver.
>
>That is all.
>Now server knows it.

Sure. But imagine the following scenario:
User has
- either Old V12 database
- or Valetina database
- plus 3 or 4 additional external files from old installation
- on PC or Mac

So I need to gather Information from various places, not only from an
existing Valentina Database.
Old database contains basic data Plus own notes and settings.

Now user wants to update to a server DB.

I need to:
- copy new basic Database from CD-ROM to Server directory
- fetch personal settings and notes from V12 or Valentina based
application locally or over a network
- import additional data from settings files and
- set username, password etc. for admin in Master DB.

This is all already finished and working, i.e. opening, gathering, etc.
The only problem is:
When I am finished with gathering information (using V4MD Xtra) I
need to write those data into the new server database which requires
V4MD_Client.
Is there something wrong in opening and closing the Xtras explicitely
using openxlib() and closexlib()?

>Or you want to merge few databases together ???
>Then you can merge them at first using V4MD.
>And you get single db and again just register it to server
>
>--

Theoretically, I could write an interim database with all the
information needed to "Databases" then quit out of the projector and
start a new one to import the data into the server version. But I am
looking for a less complicated way...

Erich