[V4RB] Is current Valentina version ready for RB 5.5

Stan Busk maxprog at mac.com
Fri Feb 27 08:44:08 CST 2004

Hi,

I have been all night pinpointing better the problem and SORRY, I found
out Valentina is not the culprit. The problem comes from encoding and
decoding string from/to UTF-8 and system default. The code snippets
below were working fine for me so far (up to RB5.2.4) but have suddenly
stopped on the Windows platform with RB5.5. I am not sure what's
happening but it is like there is no encodings available so returned
string is always empty.

   Dim conv As TextConverter
   conv = GetTextConverter(Encodings.UTF8, Encodings.SystemDefault)
   return conv.Convert(inText)

The reverse code doesn't work either:

   Dim conv As TextConverter
   conv = GetTextConverter(Encodings.SystemDefault, Encodings.UTF8)
   return conv.Convert(inText)

Is there something I have to change in order to get those functions
work again on Windows? I don't want to store UTF-8 directly to the
database until it is fully supported.

TIA,
~/Stan