Strategy for Valentina Deployment

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Feb 26 18:38:50 CST 2004

on 2/26/04 5:39 PM, James Kleinschmidt at jkleins at shentel.net wrote:

Hi James,

> 2) Because I am using other databases as well I basically get a vCursor
> and then put it in a listbox or array or fill the properties of a class
> with it. Do I need to build all those vBaseObject classes or is there a
> simpler method for building the tables,

You can DO NOT build BaseObject classes.
And work just with

    Vdatabase -> Vcursor -> Vfield

Conception.

> and if so is there an optimal way of using them to speed things up like using
> the vBaseobject methods to get a single record by recID. It seems like I
> remember reading that this should be replaced with the vCursor methods to
> allow locking of records to be effective.

Do not touch BaseObject's RECORD API for now.

If we will lucky in V4RB 2.0 I will add some more functionality to
BaseObject API. In dream, BaseObject API must allow us work with tables,
Records and fields WITHOUT SQL !!!  Using Navigational model

I will not explain now what is this...

> 3) If I do this work in 1.10 will I need to change it a lot to go to
> version 2.0.

Practically NO.

> I know I could wait until 2.0 is out and use the REAL API but it seems like it
> is taking a while so if it wasn't going to be real hard I thought I would work
> on it in 1.10. Will the same code work for 2.0?

Valentina's API yes of course.

James, problem with REAL DB API as far as I see,
    1) it is VERY LIMITED by field types for example.
    2) it do NOT allow add more types.

So in REAL DB API you cannot use for example such cool feature of Valentina
as ObjectPtr and other new features that we will get in 2.0.

As for me, REA DB API is for VERY small projects,
Or for really "paranoid people" that want to have in project a lots of
supported DB sources.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com