Windows V4RB varChar -351 error

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Feb 23 10:50:39 CST 2004

on 2/23/04 1:23 AM, Cindy Brown at cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com wrote:

Hi Cindy,

> I read this letter too and that's why I knew it wasn't just me. But in this
> case there are virtually no steps. In my list window I do:
>
> S = Select * FROM Units
> vCursor = app.mdatabase.sqlselect(s,2,1,2)
>
> All the unit records appear as they should.
>
> I click on a new button and it opens a details window:
>
> I do the same thing:
>
> S = Select * FROM Units
> newCursor = app.mdatabase.sqlselect(s,2,1,2)
>
> I can add the unit with no problems and save it with no problems.

    wait, so 2 1 2 this is:
        kServer, kNoLocks, kRandom.

So you open second window to enter new record, yes?

Then better create cursor as
    S = select * from Units WHERE RecID = 0

This will be little faster, and eat less RAM.

> Click on my list button to go back to my list screen and my select is
> updated so I can see the new unit listed with the rest.

You mean you rebuild the first cursor, yes?

     S = Select * FROM Units
    vCursor = app.mdatabase.sqlselect(s,2,1,2)

> Double-click on the new unit so I can see the new units details and it
> brings up a -351 varchar error. There is no error as the database is fine.
> It only occurs on Windows not on Macintosh.

100% reproducible?

Then I still want to see this project.
May be under debugger I will see problem and on Mac OS.

> Quit, double-click on the new unit and it opens with no problems.
>
> It happens every time I do this but is difficult to send you in a small
> database. There must be an error in the way V4RB handles varchars in
> windows. I presume it has something to do with the 2,1,2 bit.

Problem, that VarChar is NOT related to locks.
So I really do not see how this error come.

Cindy, what is big? Project or db ?
I think this error will happens on db with few records also.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com