Windows V4RB varChar -351 error

Cindy Brown cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com
Mon Feb 23 12:23:28 CST 2004

Hi Ruslan,

> Somebody 2-3 weeks ago also have point this.
>
> It looks like Valentina do false 351 error on windows
> IF do some magic steps regarding record locks.
>
> I think you can find this letter of list.
> It looks to be wrong steps in general.
> So there is way to NOT do that steps.
>
> I am not able reproduce this problem here.
> If you can send me something, I will be many thanks.

I read this letter too and that's why I knew it wasn't just me. But in this
case there are virtually no steps. In my list window I do:

S = Select * FROM Units
vCursor = app.mdatabase.sqlselect(s,2,1,2)

All the unit records appear as they should.

I click on a new button and it opens a details window:

I do the same thing:

S = Select * FROM Units
newCursor = app.mdatabase.sqlselect(s,2,1,2)

I can add the unit with no problems and save it with no problems.

Click on my list button to go back to my list screen and my select is
updated so I can see the new unit listed with the rest.

Double-click on the new unit so I can see the new units details and it
brings up a -351 varchar error. There is no error as the database is fine.
It only occurs on Windows not on Macintosh.

Quit, double-click on the new unit and it opens with no problems.

It happens every time I do this but is difficult to send you in a small
database. There must be an error in the way V4RB handles varchars in
windows. I presume it has something to do with the 2,1,2 bit.

Hope that helps.

Cindy