Corrupt Database

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Feb 12 14:19:20 CST 2004

on 2/12/04 2:08 PM, Aart Jan van der Linden at aj_vdl at hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on an application that uses Valentina in a PC & Mac Director
> cd-rom.
>
> Two times in the last days the database got corrupted. I found posts about
> updating the records quickly after the Query is finished, and I will loook
> in my code for improvements on that.
>
> But the problem I'm stuck with is this: The corrupt database opens fine in
> VAPP on a Mac, but when I start the Director project (on a Windows computer)
> the application crashes, before having given any error messages...
> When I go to [utilities] -> [diagnose Database] in the VAPP I get an error
> report with a lot of lines like
>
> -----> Field: "uitleg' of type VarChar
> Problems found!
>
> ...........Page 2
> (!) ItemCount =7425 is bigger of max possible value =510
> (!) Length of deleted 672 record is NOT zero
> Next offset must be >=, but it is less. For RecID = 673
> (!) Length of deleted 755 record is NOT zero
> (!) Length of deleted 762 record is NOT zero
> (!) Length of deleted 781 record is NOT zero
> (!) Length of deleted 782 record is NOT zero
> (...)
>
> I have a three-file database, with a .dat, a .ind and a .vdb file
>
> How can I fix this???

Hi Aart,

Such kind of corruption on VarChar page can be try to be fixed
Using XML Dump and Load into new fresh db.
Some records/values most probably will be lost.

Windows crashes on start because sometimes it is MORE strict than MacOS.
Although OS X also is not bad.

Yes, check if you make Flush() after record modifications.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com