AW: ip address of server

Deane Venske deane.venske at eduss.com
Tue Feb 10 08:17:35 CST 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 08:39:26 -0800 (PST), Chris Sheffield
<cm_sheffield at yahoo.com> wrote:

> OK, that's kind of what I figured.  I just thought it
> would be nice to make it as automatic as possible,
> just in case the person doing the installation wasn't
> a real "techie" and didn't know how to find the ip
> address of the server.  This is sometimes the case in
> an educational environment.
>
> Anyway, maybe I'll try your idea and just see how fast
> it is.  Thanks to both you and Ken.
>
> Chris

You could make it automatic by having your own custom installation. On the
server an admin would run an installation, most programming languages
should give you a way to find out the local IP address of the computer
you're running on. Your server installation should write this information
to a file and leave a client installation on the server. The admin would
then go to a client workstation and run the installation from the server
which would then set up config files so that the application knows where
the VServer is.

I've also looked into using broadcasting as Florian suggested to have self
installing applications. We're also looking at the possibility of selling
an actual pre-setup server to people with a web service setup so that they
can go to the URL and run the setup from there from each workstation.

--
Deane Venske - Senior Programmer
www.eduss.com.au   deane.venske at eduss.com
+61 7 55974600  +61 405148718