AW: ip address of server

Chris Sheffield cm_sheffield at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 9 08:39:26 CST 2004

OK, that's kind of what I figured.  I just thought it
would be nice to make it as automatic as possible,
just in case the person doing the installation wasn't
a real "techie" and didn't know how to find the ip
address of the server.  This is sometimes the case in
an educational environment.

Anyway, maybe I'll try your idea and just see how fast
it is.  Thanks to both you and Ken.

Chris

--- Florian Bogeschdorfer <fb at memedia.de> wrote:
> There is no way to automatically receive the server
> IP adress.
>
> The only thing you can do, is:
>
> 1. Read the client ID and usually the first three
> numbers will be identical.
>
> 2. Try with localHost first (server could be client
> as well)
>
> 3. Try to connect with changing the last number
> (4th) of the client IP from
> 1 to 255 and see if the server answers
>
> But this is a time-consuming thing.
>
> I agree with Ken: Installting a Vserver application
> demands some knowledge
> from the user (like the server must have a fixed IP
> number), so he must be
> able to enter the server IP. Then store it and
> that's it.
>
> Best regards, Florian

=====
Chris Sheffield