V4MD

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Feb 6 22:03:11 CST 2004

on 2/6/04 5:06 PM, Andrew Sinning at andrew at learningware.com wrote:

Hi Andrew,

> I am using SetMedia and GetMedia in combination with vList xtra members.
> This method is 17 times faster than using the vList xtra method of
> saving the vList data to a file!  However, SetMedia takes up 2x as much
> disk space.  Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have 17x speed than .5x
> space, but is there anything I can do to bring the size down.
>
> As I said in my last email, COMPACT doesn't seem to reduce the size of
> the .blb file, even after I've overwritten very large BLOB values with
> very small BLOB values.

Aha, COMPACT is NOT for this!

You have 2 ways to try reduce disk space:

1) what is segment of BLOB field?
    try set it to as low as 128 bytes. (or 256, or 512)

2) you can set for this BLOB field flag fCompressed.
    then Valentina will do ZIP compression for it.
    you can expect 4-7 times save of space.

You need set flag for empty db and later add data.

Or you can set flag on existed data, and then call COMPACT

> Thanks.  I'm very happy with your product and service.  It is truley 1st
> rate!

Thank you,

:-)

Tell this to 10 your friends :-))