Valentina 2.0. -- What is your 3 DREAM features? // XML

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Feb 2 20:00:48 CST 2004

on 2/2/04 5:03 PM, Florian Bogeschdorfer at fb at memedia.de wrote:

Hi Florian,

> About the XML dump:
>
> Right now we can export the whole DB to XML.
>
> Now again my user makes his mailing selection
>
> SELECT * FROM myCustomers WHERE girls are between 20 and 30 and come from
> Bavaria
>
> Now he wants to use this cursor data with another program (say his preferred
> label print program)
>
> At the moment I export this to .csv with my own routines.

> I would love to export the result of a query (a cursor with record data) to
> an external XML file so one could use it in other programs. I am no XML pro
> so maybe this is not enough info but the format could be similar to the
> dump() feature but only with the cursor data...

So

1) you think about query on SINGLE table only?

2) you want only export into XML, but you do not need MPORT it back into
Valentina ?

Just the most cool and interesting features come when we consider
multi-table ExportXml(). In the same time this is not very simple for both.

In short problem is next:
    let one record from left table, joined to 4 records ofright.

Relational join give us

    Florian     phone1
    Florian     phone2
    Florian     phone3
    Florian     phone4

But XML is hierarchical, and can support the original tree

    Florian
             phone1
             phone2
             phone3
             phone4

On import back we can put this XML correctly into 2 tables.
And other ways cannot do this.

But to implement this, we still need add special cursor kind for such
ExportXml()

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com