V4RB: Encoding VString - VText

Karl Grob kgrob at mus.ch
Mon Feb 2 16:24:15 CST 2004

Am 02.02.2004 um 15:54 schrieb Ruslan Zasukhin:

> on 2/2/04 12:53 PM, Karl Grob at kgrob at mus.ch wrote:
>
> Hi Karl,
>
>> I have a problem with the encoding of german "Umlaute" (=8A, =9A, =9F =
...)
>> and Class VText.
>>
>> My System:
>> RB 5.2.4
>> Mac OS 10.3.2
>> Windows98 (VirtualPC)

On my Laptop (Windows98, Compilation with RB 5.2.4 for Windows): Same=20
results

>> V4RB.rbx 23.12.03 (4'758'576 Bytes)
>>

>> The following procedure produces a correct string (example is =8A) in=20=

>> the
>> MsgBox on the Mac:
>> =8A - 138
>> On Windows the MsgBox shows:
>> =F5 - 137
>> with exactly the same code, if the VField is of the class VText. The
>> Problem is there with or without DefineEncoding.
>> If I pass the returned string in Windows to a EditField, the Text =
does
>> not show. Mac is correct.
>>
>> The class VString works correctly.
> VarChar ?

I don't use Varchar, only VString and VText.
(VarChar would give too much Overhead, because the Texts of all the=20
Works of a Swiss Poet are splitted up within the DB in their respective=20=

Words (> 3000000 Records) (with Variants, Comments, Textformatting and=20=

Pictures of the original Documents etc. DB > 2 GB ).

The Declaration (Extract):
// DB_Language is a Constant =3D "German", PFix is a Constant and works=20=

as Prefix for the Names of BO.

  Fld_Autor =3D new VString((PFix + "Autor"), 120, DB_Language)
  Fld_Titel =3D new VText((PFix + "Titel"), 128, DB_Language)

>> If I encode the Database with DOSLatinUS (while importing Data), I do
>> not get the right encoding for the Valentina-Program, i.e. the =8A, =
=9A, =9F
>> etc. dont show correctly. (By the way: If I set the Language of=20
>> VString
>> or VText to "German", Valentina shows always ASCII. The only way to
>> change the language seems to be the Valentina-Program itself.)
>
> Last fact is strange.
> Sounds like V4RB do not set German language for you.
>
> After change in VAPP, does it works fine then?

No, there is no difference. I just mentioned it to give you this=20
information.