vServer

Eric Werner, MD gaseous1 at mac.com
Tue Dec 21 07:34:27 CST 2004

Ruslan,

How does one check that one has a valid connection to vServer? The
following code from the vServer Utility project , included with the
v4RB_Client, fails to recognize that the vServer is not running:

   myHost=me.editFieldHost.text
   myPassword=me.editFieldPassword.text
   myUserName=me.editFieldUserName.text
   myPort=val(me.editFieldPort.text)\1
   ValentinaServer= new VServer(myHost, myUserName, myPassword, myPort)

   if ValentinaServer<>nil then
     ValentinaServer.OpenSession
     ShowServerStats
     SetButtonState(kConnected)
   else
     msgBox "Couldn't create a VServer object."
   end if

It seems that ValentinaServer is not nil, even if the vServer is not
running! If I run the project in the IDE, and click the Connect button,
then the program activates all the inactive controls, just as if the
vServer has been connected to, but the vServer is not running (in this
case). Should vServer return a success code if a connection is
successful? Is this quirk a function of the IDE?

Regards,

Eric