Database Size?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Aug 21 08:08:54 CDT 2004

On 8/21/04 6:53 AM, "Frank Schima" <frank-list2 at mindstarprods.com> wrote:

> Hi Ruslan,
>
> On Aug 20, 2004, at 1:51 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
>
>> On 8/20/04 8:38 PM, "Ben Rubinstein" <benr_mc at cogapp.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In this case, it sounds like if I don't care how long it takes to
>>> create the
>>> database (and I don't) I might as well set the segment size very
>>> small,
>>> since a larger size will increase the size of the database, but would
>>> provide no benefits if the database is never modified.
>>
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> May be.
>>
>> I do not recommend size less of 4KB.
>> 4KB -- this is minimal page which MacOS or Windows OS move.
>
> Really! This is very interesting. Do you remember that I had a problem
> with a database becoming corrupt because the segment size was too
> small? I was trying to use 128 *bytes* and I saw the problem. I have
> used 512 bytes successfully though. It's too bad because 4KB becomes
> the smallest record size then for a single table database.
>
> So I guess there is no way to support smaller than 4kB segment size?

You can specify less size.

And this ALSO will reduce the initial size of db.
Db with 2KB with be 2 times less than db with 4KB.

I have to think more...my words are above are wrong.

We can have db.segment e.g. 1KB.
So on one physical page of OS file will be located 4 Valentina segments.
This still will work.

And if we want to read 1 Valentina segment then OS will load into RAM all 4
segments. Because they are on single page of OS file.

I don't know why there was problems with so small segment size.
Probably because FAT also is built on segments, and if you have 128 bytes
segment, then one FAT page can keep refs of only 32 data-pages. Probably
this cause very fast some problems.

I remember that with size of segment is based some limit on size of db.
Hmm, we have never talk about this...because limit this limit is very high
even for 1-4KB. I need refresh my memory on this.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com