[V4RB] OPEN/Close trick?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Aug 3 20:55:57 CDT 2004

> From: Karen <keatk at comcast.net>
> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:11:12 -0400

Hi Karen,

> Is anybody here who uses valentina using it?

Why not ask on Valentina list ?

> I can't seem to get it to work.
> If the DB is in use on the first try I get error -61. On all subsequent
> retries I get Error 524 even after the other client closes the db.
>
> I must be missing something

Yes.

This trick works as you try on OS 9 and Windows, where OS allow open file
exclusively.

OS X (unix) do not provide exclusive access,
So Apple recommend to use additional help file in zero byte,
        -- lock file.

If it exists then you know that db is opened.
Otherwise it is closed.

Also note that tests made by developers that use Valentina Server show that
Valentina Server can do connect/disconnect in 17 times faster then
open/close works with remote computer.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com