Whole Word, Case Sensitive control

Juergen Schreck lists at innernine.com
Thu Apr 22 14:13:40 CDT 2004

Ruslan,

Thanks for your reply...

On Apr 22, 2004, at 1:33 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> This is default for Valentina
>
>     to get no case, you need use BaseObject method to build
>     case-insensetive index.

How do I do that? I see no such option? this is my Field definition

me.fldClipText=new vVarChar("cliptext", 512, "ASCII", kV_Indexed +
kV_IndexByWords)

Is this a case sensitive index?

>  Or to use LIKE str no_case

I'm doing that, but it doesn't seem to work right:

SELECT cliptext from clips WHERE cliptext LIKE 'baby'

	returns:     It's baby week

SELECT cliptext from clips WHERE cliptext LIKE 'Baby'

	returns:     Baby and me

Ok, so thats' case-sensitive. But

SELECT cliptext from clips WHERE cliptext LIKE 'baby' nocase

	returns:     It's baby week

but it should return both

     It's baby week
     Baby and me

SELECT cliptext from clips WHERE cliptext LIKE 'Baby' nocase

	returns:     Baby and me

but it should return both

     It's baby week
     Baby and me

The nocase clause is not having any effect!

>> 'Match whole word/phrase' case-sensitive
>
>     WHERE fld = 'word'

Ok, that works.

>> 'Match whole word/phrase' case-insensitive
>
>     WHERE fldLwr = 'word'
>
> You must convert 'word' to lower case before that

What is fldLwr? A baseobject method? I think I get this.

Ok, all I need to figure out then is why my contains searches aren't
working? I suppose I could use fldLwr method there as well, but from
what you wrote nocase should do the same.

Question: if nocase works for LIKE searches, then why doesn't it work
for '=' searches?

Also, are '==' and '=' equivalent in Valentina?

Thanks,
Juergen