[V4MD]: Mac OSX error -61 in projector

Christian Kirchhoff ckirchho at directmedia.de
Wed Apr 7 14:09:38 CDT 2004

Hello,

again I need a little advice regarding the error -61. I made a hybrid
project on CD-ROM with projector versions for
- Windows
- Mac Classic
- Mac OS X

On the CD-ROM I made one folder for each OS, containing
- The stub projector for the actual OS
- Other protected movies and casts, being the same for all OSs, so this adds
a little overhead.
- A folder "Xtras" containing the Xtras for the actual OS
- A folder "Data", containing the Valentina database files. They are pretty
much the same for all three OSs. The only thing I do is before distributing
the project on CD-ROM I copy the database files to the Mac (I develop on a
Windows computer) and open them there once within Director because earlier I
made the experience that Valentina had problems opening the (Windows
generated and indexed) database on the Mac.

Three installation movies for the three OSs copy the proper folder for that
OS in the users hard drive. Installing my project and working with it from
the hard drive works fine. The database files are read from the hard drive,
too, in that case.
But the user can also do a quick start of the software if he starts the stub
projector for his OS in the proper folder directly from the CD-ROM.

I did this for another project before in exactly the same way, and it worked
fine. But now the following happens: On Windows the quick start from CD-ROM
works. On Mac (either Classic or OS X) the quick start doesn't work. The
database is not opened, so there is no access to the data, and I don't know
why. I only read from the database, by the way, the software doesn't change
the data or add new records. So only the existing data structures have to be
rebuild for indexing or other reasons. But that should work even for write
protected database files, and it worked within my former project.

So I burned a special CD-ROM with a lingo.ini opening the message window and
a special stub projector setting the DebugMode of Valentina to 2.

Here is a piece of code that is executed:
gMyDatabase = new(xtra "VDataBase")
OpenDatabase(gMyDatabase, gDataPath&"Data.vdb")
gMyDatabaseRef = GetRef(gMyDatabase)
gMyDatabase.SetDateTimeFormat([1, ".", ":", 0])
put getBaseObjects(gMyDatabase)

Initialising the new xtra works. But the OpenDatabase command returns error
-61. getBaseObjects returns an empty list. Further attempts to build Cursor
all result with error 602.

Now, with the message window open, I type the same line of code that was
executed with an error before:
OpenDatabase(gMyDatabase, gDataPath&"Data.vdb")

Now Valentina returns "* V4MD *:OpenDatabase.Done

I am a little confused now because:
- The same method was used in a former project and worked there
- The actual project works on Windows, either installed on CD-ROM or with
the quick start method, reading the database files from the CD-ROM
- The actual project works fine on Mac OS X and Classic when installed on
the hard drive
- Opening the database doesn't work on Mac OS X and Classic with the quick
start mode, using the database files from the CD-ROM
- Opening the database manually from the message window works, right after
the same was tried by the projector code and did fail.

Does anybody have the slightest idea what could be a possible cause for
this? I don't know what and how else I could test, because the problem only
occurs with the projector and the database files being accessed directly
from the CD-ROM.

Regards,

Christian Kirchhoff