[V4MD] / [ALL] orphaned segments in text field

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Sep 30 22:28:21 CDT 2003

on 9/30/03 10:13 PM, Martin Kloss at martin.kloss at gmx.de wrote:

Hi Martin,

> a client is currently busy entering data into a database.
> there are a couple of text fields, most of them have the
> language setting "german". now after two days the database
> reports weird errors:
>
> example, I have 68 records. When I create a 69th record and
> then immediately delete it afterwards, I get:
>
> VarChar field corrupted (351)

Argh!...

> Since there are a lot of fields in that table, I can not guess which
> field is meant by Valentina, so I ran a DIAGNOSE on the db.
> Interestingly, I don't get any problems on VarChar fields, but
> on text fields:
>
> Field: "transcription' of type Text
> Problems found!
>
> (!) Minor problem: exists 8 orphan segments.(indicate mistake in algorithm.)
>
> What does it mean? How can I fix it and how does it happen?

This can happens if you

1)
    fldText = assign some value

    and DO NOT do cursor.UpdateRecord() on some reason.
    I have see a couple of times that developer do
    UpdateRecord() by IF(). This is not correct.

2)
    you have made

    fldText = assign some value
    cursor.UpdateRecord()

But cursor was read only. So update is not executed, but your data left in
file.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com