V4RB 2.0 // Unicode

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Sep 24 15:46:18 CDT 2003

on 9/24/03 3:38 PM, jda at jda at his.com wrote:

> BTW, regarding your comments about indexing in 2.0 -- how does the
> speed of searching unindexed fields in 2.0 compare to searching
> unindexed fields in 1.0? And what will happen to db size in 2.0,
> especially those that have lots of large indexes (my indexes make up
> over a third of the total db size)?

Jon,

But 1.x was n ObjectTable able search NOT indexed fields.
It always did build index.

Only LIKE was not indexed.
And somebody have mention that since Valentina keep files on separate
logical files, then time of LIKE was even close to indexed search.
Although I think that was not very accurate estimate.

Of course scanning of the table will take more time.
Other question that it still can be fast.
For example if you have HDD with 20-30 MB/s
And you search table in million of records on LONG field, then we need read
from HDD in worse case 4MB. So this is 0.2 of second only.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com