Newbie Question : Related tables and OR condition

Claudius Sailer Claudius at sailer-online.de
Fri Sep 19 06:24:21 CDT 2003

Am Freitag, 19.09.03, um 04:22 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Greg DeVore:

> I am having trouble with OR statements between two related tables.
> My SQL is this:
>
> SELECT Title, Genre, Mood, Tempo, Comments, Composer, Collection, DVD,
> Publisher FROM Music_Library, Genre, Mood, Tempo, Composer,
> Collection, DVD, Publisher WHERE Title LIKE 'the' no_case OR MOOD LIKE
> 'tive'

IMHO this must fail. Valentina is in my point of view case sensitive
for name of tables, so you have to decise whether is correct MOOD or
Mood. Then LIKE 'the' and LIKE 'tive' I don't know what you expect.
IMHO you need an asterix to use LIKE. Otherwise you can use Mood="tive'

> The problem is that Valentina is treating this as if I had put
> "WHERE Title LIKE 'the' no_case AND MOOD LIKE 'tive'"
>
> But I want OR
> If I do this between two fields from the same table the OR condition
> works as expected.
> It is only when using an OR condition between two tables that I am
> having problems.

It is possible the MOOD the writing style destoys youd SQL-Statement.
The result is only correct, because it has no other posibilities.
Whether it is possible or not tu use OR between 2 tables Ruslan can
give you the correct answer, but I remember that there was also
something. It is possible that this doesn't work at the moment.

Pleae could you write what Valentina you use. V4RB, or C++ or something
else?

Ciao

Claudius

--
G4/733 QS / MacOS X 10.2.6de / RB 4.5.3de or 5.1de or 5.2.1/ Valentina
1.9.8