Valentina Server questions

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Sep 17 07:19:15 CDT 2003

on 9/17/03 6:36 AM, David Nock at davidn at accessitsoftware.com wrote:

Hi David,

> We are currently evaluating Valentina as a possible solution for one of our
> projects.
>
> I've just been reading the Server pdf and it states that the client library
> can only be C++. Why?

No David,

It states that low level Valentina Client library is written on C++,
But not in C like in mySQL and Postgre.

But around of this C++ client we have ALL OTHER wrappers to connect
Valentina client to all other languages and IDEs that Valentina support

> The reason for asking is that we are already using a common C++ library to
> give us cross-platform capabilities and would prefer not to add more
> dependencies (MFC, PowerPlant) to this project.

Valentina C++ client DO NOT depend on (MFC, PowerPlant).
Well, only on Classic and Carbon it use for now GUSI lib.
But this is hidden inside.

> I haven't tested yet to determine whether or not the Mac Lthread requirement
> is going to conflict with our pthreads implementation.

David, if you going to use only OS X or , and Valentina client,
Then there is NO Lthread !!!

We also use POSIX API then.

> Also, I understand you are looking at a Linux/Unix version for the server.

Yes. Of course.

> Will you be providing Linux/Unix client libraries for this? If so what are
> you going to use for them?

Yes of course.

Actually I believe that port of the current OS X C++ Client
To Linux is easy task -- just create MAKE file and go ahead,
Because Valentina Client depend ONLY on POSIX socket API.

Revolution guys are going try to do this self.
On success they will give us this port of Valentina client.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com