OpenBase and its sort table.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Sep 15 12:19:13 CDT 2003

on 9/15/03 12:03, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

> Ruslan, we have discussed the pros and cons a number of times, so it
> may be worth for you to search the archives. IMHO you will have to
> maintain your own sort tables to work reliably cross-platform and
> cross-environments, particularly when supporting multiple encodings.
> But you need to provide support for only a few languages in the
> kernel, just allowing to extend that through plugins or another
> mechanism. Simple tables will not work for all languages, but you
> don't need to have such algorithms for all languages right away. You
> just need to design a good extendable architecture to handle language
> issues.

Okay Robert,
Then another issue: unicode.

1) own tables can be good for single byte languages when we have table size
just 256 chars. For unicode this not works of course.

2) it very looks that for example one-two years later 99% db users and db
developers will prefer to use unicode. Or not?
May be implement in Valentina 2.0 only unicode UTF8 and UTF16?
And drop support of single byte encodings at all?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com