OpenBase and its sort table.

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Sep 15 11:03:24 CDT 2003

>Hi Totte,
>Hi All,
>
>I have see that in OpenBase when we create db they ask define string that
>specify sort order.
>
>Very strange way.
>
>And I wonder how they work with upper/lower case ?
>Sort order of course cannot be used for this.
>
>Anybody know ?
>
>---
>I think that may be better to use own locale tables for Valentina 2.0
>Instead of built into OS methods?
>
>This way has props and cons.
>

>-- that it needs more manual work.
>-- they say that some languages cannot be described by table
>         and need algorithms that are built into OS.
>
>++ this can be faster
>++ user can make table for own language
>

>--
>Best regards,
>Ruslan Zasukhin      [ I feel the need...the need for speed ]

Ruslan, we have discussed the pros and cons a number of times, so it
may be worth for you to search the archives. IMHO you will have to
maintain your own sort tables to work reliably cross-platform and
cross-environments, particularly when supporting multiple encodings.
But you need to provide support for only a few languages in the
kernel, just allowing to extend that through plugins or another
mechanism. Simple tables will not work for all languages, but you
don't need to have such algorithms for all languages right away. You
just need to design a good extendable architecture to handle language
issues.

Robert