Encodings on RB 5

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Sep 12 09:56:04 CDT 2003

on 9/12/03 8:50 AM, Cindy at alvin at ins.co.nz wrote:

Hi Cindy,

> I wrote another email. I have got the changetype function to work through
> RB. When I go back to VAPP and look at the database to see how the change
> went, I can look at the field list and see that the field has changed
> correctly from vString to vFixedBinary. Then I go to look at the Records of
> the database and the screen comes up with a blank window and then quits out.

Well, fixed binary DO NOT show its value, because I have no idea
How we can show BINARY value.
It is possible to think about some HEX form, but still many issues here.

Crash of course must not happens.
If you can send me small db that crashes VAPP on this.

> I tried throwing away the indexes and reindexing but still it quits as soon
> as I go to the changed database which was working fine before. I don't want
> to go changing all my id fields to fixed binary and find that my clients
> databases become corrupt. Is there a problem with changing from vstring to
> vfixed binary?

Cindy, of course you need at first test all very good before sent to
clients.

Must work, but who knowns.
Try to reproduce problem on small project,
Even better to make small project that at first build table with ONE string
field, then convert it to fixed binary.

+----
And I want note:
Why you use as ID such complex field?