Encodings on RB 5

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Sep 11 16:46:45 CDT 2003

on 9/11/03 3:48 PM, Cindy at alvin at ins.co.nz wrote:

> Thanks for that but I don't think it helps me when the data has previously
> been recorded. For a lot of my clients, the data has been brought over from
> FoxPro with all the id codes that were entered there. There are
> approximately 24 databases all with id codes and most with the linkings
> relying on the id codes which makes it an impossible task to try and change
> the existing records. What I really need is something that will allow the
> platforms to talk together. Each workstation is standalone. It is when I
> bring the data to the server that the problem begins. If somebody knows how
> I could translate the PC codes to the Macintosh codes, that would be great.
> I have gone through all the encodings in the list using gettextconverter and
> convertencodings but none of them seem to show the exact codes I need.
>
> If anybody could help on this, it would be great.

I am sorry, but it is not clear to me.

DO NOT use ASCII "language" if you need cross-platform.
Use instead "English", "German", ...

> Regards
>
> Cindy
>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Just trying to finalise my windows version so it talks to the Mac. Behind
>>> the scenes I have an ID code to identify each record. This code can use any
>>> of the 256 characters except for obvious ones such as return, ", etc.
>>>
>>> On my Mac I may have a code for a record such as: 00TÈX@
Kw

Aha, and you want NOT convert this code when you move files?

Then I think you can store them into FIXED BINARY or var binary fields.
In this case Valentina will not do platform mapping.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com