[V4MD] Stopping character remapping

niklas wörmann nwoe at privat.utfors.se
Thu Sep 11 06:53:22 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua>
To: <valentina at lists.macserve.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 6:50 PM
Subject: Re: [V4MD] Stopping character remapping

> on 9/10/03 7:24 PM, Marcus Bointon at marcus at synchromedia.co.uk wrote:
>
> >> To disable mapping I need add some API.
> >
> > Might be useful, but I wouldn't spend too much time on it!
> >
> > The problem is actually worse than I thought, and it's not Valentina's
> > fault. Now that I can deal with the mapping ok, I find that if I have a
font
> > that's embedded on MacOS, the mapping is applied on Windows (as
expected),
> > but it simply misses some characters out, even though they are in the
source
> > font!!! If I write code to display the whole charset on Win, it has
about 30
> > non-printing chars, vs about 6 if I do the same on MacOS. Very dumb.
>
> May be you need find more professional fonts ?
> >From Adobe for example?
>
> With Cyrillic you will meet many problems I think.
>
> Many Cyrillic fonts that I have see are just patches of western fonts
> instead of correct implementation.
>
> Oh, I remember that Moscow company Paragraph, was develop good Cyrillic
> fonts. May be you need try to find them.

Hi!
just a word of warning here, regarding directors implementation of fonts,
this is something
that can really get you in the end when you dont want to have any nasties
creeping up on you .

if you want to use a non standard font and embed it into your director file,
like you are supposed to, you need to
be aware of the fact that in order to do this, the user running your
application needs to have administrator privileges on
win NT and 2000, i assume xp too. those users that dont have those
privileges will not be able to use your font.
very bad things can then happen here, and i urge you to test on your target
platform in due time before your ship date.

regards
niklas woermann