Fudging multilingual support

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 17:26:23 CDT 2003

I have an existing Valentina project using V4MD and V4RB. It's multilingual,
but translations are stored as records in in a baseobject with a single
ASCII VarChar field and a language pointer. I don't need searching or
sorting of this data, merely storage & retrieval (all done by RecID). So far
I've got by with this approach, as it works well enough for western
languages. However, I now need to support Russian, Czech and Polish.
As I know what language a given translation is in (from the language
pointer), am I safe continuing with this method, treating ASCII as a
straightforward 8-bit-clean container? That way, as I retrieve text, I can
tag it with the known language and render it using an appropriate font.
Ideally of course I would do all this in Unicode, but that's not a reality
yet.
Does anyone know of any open code for manually handling text encodings in
Lingo?

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture