Valentina Pricing - Additional Clarification?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Oct 29 23:21:22 CST 2003

on 10/29/03 22:40, Ken Ray at kray at sonsothunder.com wrote:

> Valentina Server vs. Valentina Office Server?
> After reading what you sent Bobby, the Kagi pages, and reviewing a
> couple of past posts you made to the Valentina List, I *think* I
> understand the difference between the two products. Please correct me if
> I'm wrong.

I'd say: Valentina Office Server vs Valentina Embedded Server.

> Valentina Office Server is a product that is sold by Paradigmasoft
> directly to a customer.

Yes. But VDN members also can buy it with 20% discount from us and resale to
YOUR clients. This can be interesting in case YOUR customer need MANY
connections or even UNLIMITED version.

> The main intention would be for in-house database development. So for example,
> if I worked at a company that wanted to build internal solutions using
> Valentina, I would purchase Valentina Office Server and deploy it in-house
> based on the number of employees in my company that would need to connect and
> use the Server.

Yes, exactly!

> The server software keeps its name as "Valentina Server", and
> cannot change the folders, executable file name, etc., and must use the
> installer for Valentina Server that comes from Paradigmasoft. So to everyone
> on the internal network, they know this as "Valentina Server". You generate a
> unique license file for your customer that is tagged to the name of the
> customer.

Yes, right.
Although technically it allow rename folders also.

> Valentina Server (which you've referred to at times as "Embedded Valentina
> Server") is for product developers who want to bundle the server software in
> with their application solution and sell it to *their* customers as a
> database-enabled application (they are not reselling just the database server,
> but are selling their application with the server as part of the complete
> package.)

Yes.

Ken, please note. Both, Valentina Server Office and Valentina Embedded
Server are 100% THE SAME application and build.

Embedded Server differ in the first turn by its LICENSE terms.
Embedded Server should be signed by VDN developer by special signature.

> So if I have a product called "SuperApp", which is backed by Valentina Server,
> Paradigmasoft would sell me a version of Valentina Server containing a special
> licensing file that contains the name of *my client* which would go along with
> the SuperApp product which contains information that I would pass along as a
> parameter in the connection string, so that this particular version of
> Valentina Server would only accept connections from a specific client of mine
> who purchased SuperApp. So if I wanted to sell to three different clients, I
> would purchase 3 different copies of Embedded Valentina Server, each with its
> own unique licensing file that was tagged to the SuperApp application and the
> client's name.

No, not correct here.
Paradigma will NOT generate unique license file for each your customer!

You, VDN developer, get from us ONE license_emb_xxx file with SIGNATURE for
your SuperApp. And you get this signature by email from us.

You put this license_emb file into EACH copy of your sold app.
This license file contains also default 5 connections for your
SuperAppServer.

And you SELF will be able generate additional license_win_xxxx files for
YOUR customers with more connections.

> Additionally we would be able to change the name of the folders, the
> executable file name, etc. and have our own server installer app, so that it
> might look like "SuperApp Server" instead of "Valentina Server".

Yes.

> Do I have that right?

In most places right

> By the way, if I'm right, you should definitely pick another name for the
> embedded Valentina Server other than "Valentina Server" in your docs... it is
> very confusing. "Embedded Valentina Server" is not bad, but perhaps "Valentina
> Server - In-House Developer Edition" vs. "Valentina Server - Resale Edition"??
> That might make it a lot clearer.

Look, it is assumed that on e.g. 100 sales of Office Vserver
Will be 1 sale of VDN membership to SOFTWARE DEVELOPER.

Embedded Server is SPECIAL OFFER for SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS that going
distribute LOTS of copies of their app/solution.

Embedded Server -- is mainly LICENSE ISSUE that give SOFTWARE DEVELOPER HUGE
DISCOUNT from regular price of Office Server.

Does this make sense ?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com