Valentina Server a42

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Oct 23 10:03:06 CDT 2003

on 10/23/03 1:53, Deane Venske at dean at eduss.com wrote:

Hi Deane,

> Hi Ruslan,
> Has Igor had a chance to look into all this? We really need the
> connection time to the server to be far quicker than 5 seconds if we are
> to be able to use Valentina.

1) Igor right now busy on UNICODE strings for Valentina 2.0
He do total changes in all our sources, so he cannot stop, because other
developers now limited by changes.

I think he will need yet 1-2 days to finish changes and we will be able
compile kernel 2.0 again.

2) after that we of course will study this issue.
And again, we will make benchmarks how fast is for example
    a) mySQL
    b) MS SQL Server.

I also think that 5 seconds is too long.

3) I'd like more info from you.

* server on mac ?
* client on win?

* have you try all combinations?
    mac to mac   (localhost and remote)
    mac to win

    win to win  (localhost and remote)
    win to mac

In all 6 cases you get 5 seconds on connection???

4) again, I have see that FIRST Time when I connect e.g. From Window to MAC
it can take few seconds. But the same true when I INSIDE of Windows connect
to MAC to open some folder. I think this is because network have sleep and
it was inited.

After this FIRST TIME connections go very fast as I have see.

Again we will play with this.
Because of course connection time is very important.

5) in the same time, I remember that e.g. In PHP docs said:
    very often connections takes many time
    so PHP provide way to SAVE connection between few HTML pages
    generation to avoid connection to DBMS on each hit.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com