Lots of beginner questions

chuck hinkle chuckbo at hinkles.us
Mon Oct 20 16:55:10 CDT 2003

I have the feeling that I'm not doing things right.

1) I've looked at the Vapp to build the database, but I don't see where I
can go to set properties such as segmentsize and encryption. Does that have
to be done in the RB program?

2) Even in VB, I was surprised that these properties didn't show up as
properties. I see that if I reference the database in code, I can access
these properties. Does this imply that I should create a small program that
I can run one time to set the properties of the database I create before
distributing my application?

3) I've been adding the statements in RB that define the tables and fields
(as described in the REALbasic tutorial document. I'm less confident that
I'm doing this right. Do these field constructors only need to be run one
time, when the database is created? That takes me back to the question about
having a separate program to prepare my database to ship instead of
including all of this code in the RB app.

Note that it is meaningless for someone to start with an empty database with
this app; it requires a shipped database with several thousands of records
preloaded.

4) Fred said that he prefers using the Vapp to build the schema. After that,
would you run a special program to open up the database and set the
properties such as encryption one time?

5) If you use the Vapp to define the schema, how do all of the database and
table classes, and their properties, get built in the RB project? Do you
still hae to build those, but you don't have to build all of the field
constructors?

chuck