A few (more) questions

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Oct 20 23:01:51 CDT 2003

on 10/20/03 22:14, chuck hinkle at chuckbo at hinkles.us wrote:

Hi Chuck,

> That's what I meant to ask in my first question. I was under the
> impression that the Valentina database could be "embedded" as part of the
> application. If the files are separate, then running the application
> implies, to me, that I need to store the location of the database in a
> preference so that the program can find it and open it, and if the file
> gets moved, then there needs to be a routine to resolve it.

Valentina is "embedded" in the sense that inside of your app.exe is stored
the whole db engine.

But db files itself are located of course in separate location.

And I think it is bad idea even try "embed" db into app.exe.

Normally DB APP can work with few different dbs on HDD.

You can store link into prefs.
Or you can provide OpenDialog like in each normal MAC app.

> Ruslan seemed, to me, to be saying that "no," I can use the Creator
> property of the database to embed the database. Or, maybe it links the
> database and the app. I'm reading the description in the Reference guide,
> and I see a path to the Location as a property, so I must've misunderstood
> that. Reading about Creator, I interpret it that the database file will be
> separate from the application, and opening the database file, through use
> of the Creator property, can kick off the application. I don't understand
> the specifics, but it seems that the database would already be open if I
> start the application this way, so I wouldn't need the db.open command? I
> wish there were an example that does this that I could look through to
> understand it.

CREATOR -- is standard MacOS feature.
    you can read about it in Apple's docs.

CREATOR allow you assign to files of appp icons.,
    and when use double click the file MacOS is able start correct app.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com