Trying to understand record locks

James Kleinschmidt jkleins at shentel.net
Thu Oct 16 22:28:05 CDT 2003

I am just trying to get a handle on the record locking mechanism and
have a few questions after trying a few things.

1) How long is the lock on the record for? until the cursor is released
?

2) Is the lock just for different users? in other words if I get a
cursor with read/write locks and store it in a global property and then
update the record later using the baseobject.update methods should the
record accessed in the cursor  be locked and unable to change or is the
lock only for another user that tries to access that record from
another computer.

3) To use the locks should I always try to update using cursors or are
the baseobject methods for adding and updating okay as well?

I appreciate any help. The test application I made just seems to ignore
any locks I try to set so I suspect I am just not understanding them
well enough. If there is anything written about this please direct me.
I haven't been able to find anything very specific in the docs.

Thanks,

JIm